Secrets are an important part of any novel. They build the character journey in a way that makes sense and allows them to grow in their relationships with others. Secrets also draw in the reader because they want to understand and know more about your characters.
Revealing secrets in an authentic way can create intimacy among the characters that readers love. The whole process is a bit tricky in that it must be layered to show gradual depth in relationships and the growth of trust.
A secret is most powerful when it is revealed after a character has developed a level of trust for the person they share with. It shows an increase in intimacy and creates a stronger heart tug for the reader.
They best examples of characters sharing their secrets have a level of authenticity. We can learn a few tips about making secret revelations authentic by looking at some movie clips.
5 Tips For Characters Sharing Their Secrets:
1. Characters are given opportunity to open up and share their secrets. Some things that build this opportunity are questions, quiet moments, and reminiscent places.
2. Secrets can be exposed through humorous moments turned serious. Sometimes these type of secrets even surprise the character revealing them.
3. Secrets can come out of character confrontation. When characters are pushed over the edge in arguments or conversation they often reveal secrets about themselves.
4. Secrets can come from introspection and self discovery scenes.
5. Secrets can come from Character conflict. Being on opposing sides is best because it releases new opinions and feelings.
Layering the revelation of your character’s secrets in an authentic and heartwarming way is essential to build a happy ending in your story. Try these tips the next time you are struggling to reveal your character’s layers.