A dash of crazy chases writers. We embrace it in the imaginary characters, made up stories, and don’t forget the arguments we get into with the characters we created.
Our spouses are quite certain we didn’t have enough imaginary friends in childhood. They also know the take-out numbers for several restaurants so they have a backup when we’re on deadline.
You’ve heard of senior moments? Well, what about writer moments? The moments when we loose all focus and our imagination drifts off into an imaginary world.
If you’re a mom writer, you might even find yourself calling your children the name of a character. That’s when your middle-schooler looks at you with that you’ve-finally-lost-it stare.
Yep. My kids have given me those stares, my husband has raised his eyebrows, and my keyboard has suffered the direct impact of my forehead a time or two. How about you?
Top Ten Signs That You’re A Writer:
1.You count more words than you do dollars from your royalty checks.
2. Hearing voices is a good thing.
3. You spend months on a draft and you consider it no more than drivel.
4. You consider chocolate a food group.
5. Rejection is just another day at the office.
6. Your family has caught you talking to your characters out loud.
7. You’ve called your insurance company trying to claim Prozac as a work comp issue.
8. You take your vacations only to places that are tax deductible.
9. You ask people to tell you what’s wrong with your work. Sometimes you even pay to be told.
10. You sign up to finish a whole year’s work in one month just for the fun of it.
Smiling at the zany is sometimes therapeutic. The fun of being a writer and the challenges can bring some of the best smiles.
What are some of the signs of being a writer that you have seen?
Congratulations to Last Week’s
Fan Friday Winner~ Rebekah Carpenter