So I am quite sure God was chuckling when he gave me the nudge to be a writer. What a better way to practice patience, than to wait on pins and needles for a one in thousand chance to get an agent or land a book contract.
There are days I’m ready to go running stark raving crazy through the house screaming at the top of my lungs and pulling at the roots of my hair. Don’t laugh, I know… you’ve been there too. If not as a writer, at least as a parent or someone waiting for the results of an interview.
Yes, I suppose this makes me all too human to admit it, but I don’t always have the victory over my impatience. I do my best to hide it well…most days.
Since I’ve been in this waiting game long enough to know that a person could really go crazy without a few strategies in place to keep them sane, I’ve developed a checklist of things to do to keep my sanity.
5 Tips To Keep Your Sanity While You Wait:
1. Keep yourself busy. If your mind is occupied with something else, it won’t have time to obsess over the thing you are waiting for. Staring at your box or telephone will not make it easier, you will simply go crazy. Go about your day as you always would, don’t cut short the meaning of each day while waiting for your dream to be realized. A dream is made up of many days of work. Remember this day will bring you one day closer to your dream.
2. Trust that God is in control. We often want to be in charge of our own destiny, but leaving it in God’s hands and trusting Him to look out for our best interests is faith. Choose faith over doubt.
3. Pray For God’s Will. The time spent praying often brings a peace that can only come from being in the presence of God. He knows the steps our lives should take and will be with us each step of the journey.
4. Find A Buddy To Keep You Sane. Sometimes it helps just to let off a bit of steam and share your woes with a friend. Keep it short and sweet, then ask them to help you focus on something else.
5. Lock down the chocolate and junk food. Sometimes when we are stressed we pile on the junk food without even realizing we are doing it. It is an unhealthy habit when you work in a career with a lifetime of waiting moments. Have the munchies? Find the healthiest munchies that you love and stock your cupboards for a time such as this.
What do you do while you are waiting to keep you sane?