Eleven years of teaching elementary school taught me a thing or two about inspiring story ideas. If you struggle with this part of the writing process, you are not alone.
Sitting in a room full of third grade students who needed to come up with a story idea often left me reaching for creative ways to stimulate the writing mind. Easy is not part of the equation for many writers who stare at the blank page including third graders.
You find stories in a variety of ways, but today I thought I would share a few with you that are outside of the box methods to brainstorming a great story idea. You will have to let your imagination run wild, but you can do it.
5 Tips To Brainstorming A Great Story Idea Through The Senses:
1. Sight: Look at a picture from a magazine, book, painting or website. Close your eyes and imagine what is happening in that story. Open your eyes and make up a story about what you see. (Sometimes sticking to a story in your genre will get your mind going in the right direction.)
2. Sound: Listen to a piece of music that has no words. Create a story to follow what is happening. Think of the mood of the music you pick. If you want to write a suspense, it might be helpful to focus on the mood that might stimulate a suspenseful premise.
3. Smell. Go on a nature walk to a place that has strong smells. Imagine yourself a character and where you might have encountered that smell before. Or, you could simply take something out of the fridge and open it and close your eyes.
4. Taste. Take something from your refrigerator, or try something totally new from the grocery store. Taste it and close your eyes to savor the flavor. Imagine a character whose favorite food is the one you are eating right now. What would that character be like?
5. Touch. Find a surface that is new or different to you. Close your eyes and run your hands over the surface. Imagine a time when someone might have touched that surface. A character on the run, a girl on a dream date, etc. What story would that item tell you.
Now it is your turn. Listen to the music below and write a few sentences of what story you think might be happening. There isn’t a right or wrong answer. I am looking for a really creative story idea. The most creative or interesting story idea will receive a $10.00 gift card to Amazon. You can leave up to three ideas each.